Mentors for At Risk Youth
Make a significant impact on the life of a street involved youth or a youth living with poverty
Transform a life
Sparking enthusiasm in education and career, staying away from drugs, 130% more likely to attain leadership positions, and recovery from abuse and trauma. These are some of the life-changing impacts a mentor can make to a mentee’s life. Your interest in the mentoring program has the potential to be the beginning of someone else’s positive life trajectory. All we ask more than your time and commitment is compassion, and your openness to learn from us on how to be an effective mentor.
The youth mentee will go through the challenging journey of finding employment, preparing for tense interviews, receiving rejection letters, maintaining employment and all the other challenges involved in a competitive job market.
Your tangible mission as a mentor is to support the mentee in their journey towards their career goals in the next 6 months – 1 year. This can be accomplished through your role by providing:
- Secure social and emotional support
- Role modelling
- Support the goal-setting of the youth
- Be a listening ear especially at times of rejection
- Provide long term perspective
- Celebrate the youth’s accomplishment, big or small
What does it take to be a mentor?
A firm minimum 1-year commitment – non-negotiable. If you anticipate any inkling of any life change that would make you unable to make this level of commitment we would ask that you not pursue this important role. Nothing crashes a youth’s world more than someone letting them down. Thank you for understanding.
- Willingness to attend mentor training and learn with YSM and from other mentors
- Time commitment
- A strong desire to help
What are the benefits of a mentor?
Research has indicated mentors received multiple benefits by being a mentor compared to their colleagues who do not mentor. Aside from very personal and unique benefits a mentor can realize by themselves, here are some of the benefits of mentoring to mentors:
- Increase of their own self-confidence,
- A deeper understanding of the complexity of poverty in Toronto through the experience of the mentee
- Opportunity to further develop leadership, professional modelling, interpersonal, and supportive skills
- The joy of witnessing the qualitative transformation of your mentee through your mentoring
If you are interested in the role, please fill out the form below.