Yonge Street Mission’s (YSM) Food Bank is seeking a Food Bank Support Volunteer!
In keeping with YSM’s goal to remove barriers faced by neighbours and families in need, our YSM Food Bank provides 3 to 5 days’ worth of staples such at fruit, vegetables, milk, eggs, bread, meat and non-perishables based on the needs, diet and preferences of our clients and their family. We provide a grocery store style shopping experience with volunteers to guide and help clients. The Food Bank Support Volunteer role is a very meaningful and physically active one, where they help our Food Bank team to unpack, stock and display our Food Bank supplies; and also welcome visitors to our Food Bank, providing them with assistance to ensure a dignified and supportive shopping experience.
- Passionate about supporting eradicate food insecurity and other poverty related challenges, and supporting others in need
- Excellent listening and verbal communication skills – to effectively support and instruct Food Bank visitors
- Able to communicate effectively with people from a variety of diverse communities, ages and socio-economic backgrounds
- Reliable team player (able to support and work well alongside other YSM staff and volunteers)
- Good time management skills (our Food Bank visitors depend on our ability to provide quality on time service)
- Previous Customer Service is an asset but not required for this position
- Flexible and able to work independently with minimal supervision
- This is a physically active role (volunteers must be able to to bend and lift light loads of grocery items weighing at least 20lbs)
- Age/Online Access/COVID Safety Requirements: Volunteers must be at least 18 years old, and able to go online to view volunteer shifts/notifications. Also, to ensure the safety of all YSM follows Public Health Safety Guidelines, and all volunteers must be willing to adhere to our mandatory COVID-19 volunteer safety guidelines and volunteer guidelines.
- Commitment: Able to make a 6 month commitment with shifts being flexible (complete at least 1 shift weekly)
HOURS of POSITION/LOCATION
Our Food Bank is located at Gerrard & Parliament, and this role has a one day weekly commitment:
- Monday, 11am -2pm
- Tuesday, 9:30am-12:30pm OR 12:45-3:30pm
- Wednesday, 9:30am-12:30pm OR 12:45-3:30pm
- Thursday, 9:30am-12:30pm OR 12:45-3:30pm
- Friday, 9:30am-12:30pm OR 12:45-3:30pm
If you are interested, please fill out the form below, one of the keen staff from our Volunteer Resources team will contact you!