Yonge Street Mission’s (YSM) Family Services is seeking a Volunteer Tutor!
Our Family Services program, which engage children and youth, are designed to work with community children and youth in ways that are positive, interactive, wholesome, fun, character-building and educational. The program was designed to support families with wrap-around care. Youth Community members (clients) who are part of the families YSM engages with may have experienced bullying, deprivation, abuse, disability, and various forms of barriers that hinder academic interest and development. The tutor’s role is to provide academic support in a positive, engaging, and encouraging environment in the context of tutoring. The role may also involve role modelling, patience, and building positive trusting relationships with the goal of increasing the youth’s competence, interest, and value to academics.
- Graduate of (or currently enrolled in) University or College for tutoring Grades 9-12 (youth tutors)
- Proficiency, up to the grade 12 level, in math (calculus, algebra)
- Positive role model
- Able to explain things well, and break down complex ideas into simple, step-by-step concepts
- Non-judgmental, patient, encouraging, creative, and open to new ways of teaching.
- Enjoy working with children, and youth – especially from diverse backgrounds and communities
- Willingness to learn the complexity and struggles of youth living with poverty and how it affects academic achievement – ability to adopt teaching styles according to these conditions
- Note: Volunteers must be at least 18 years old, have a clear covid screening, be willing to wear a PPE mask and abide by YSM health and safety protocols.
HOURS of POSITION/LOCATION
- Hours: To be determined based on the schedule of the volunteer and youth
- Location: Online
HOW TO APPLY
- Please complete the form below and Donnett will be in touch about this awesome opportunity