Advocacy is any action that speaks in favor of, recommends, argues for a cause, supports or defends, or pleads on behalf of others.
By speaking up about issues and challenges faced by our neighbours experiencing poverty we can help inform others as well as inspire action by those in power.
WHY CONTACT YOUR CITY COUNCILOR, MPP and MP?
A great way to advocate regarding issues you care about it is to contact government representatives.
When government officials receive multiple communications on specific issues, they realize how important the issue(s) is / are to their constituents and pay more attention.
Below are some templates for emails or letters to use in contacting government representatives. They can also be used as talking points should you prefer to engage with your representative over the phone.
WHO ARE YOUR REPRESENTATIVES?
- Adding your own experiences and using your own words can make a letter even stronger! Use our templates as a starting point and tailor your message from there.
- Include your address or postal code so the representative sees you are part of their constituency.
- Keep a copy of your letter or email to refer to when you receive a response.
- Follow up! Write back thanking your representative for their reply.
- No postage is required when you send a letter to an MP.